Thursday, January 12, 2012

No, of course I'm not considering applying for a summer job on a dude ranch...

No, of course I'm not considering applying for a summer job on a dude ranch... Well, actually that's not true.

I got the idea several years ago from one of my sorority sisters. (Yes, I was in a sorority... but that's a story for another day!)  She worked as a summer rangler on a dude ranch--a retreat center of sorts.  She taught riding, played with kids, led trail rides, and cared for horses.  Sounds great, right?  I've wanted to do the horse thing out West for years, but I never felt like I was supposed to move long-term, and before now, my schedule never allowed it.  In late May I move out of my current apartment and have no idea where I'm going, and currently I have no job commitment for June-September... This could actually work!

I've found a several beautiful ranches.  And I'm kind of starting to fall in love with one... it's a Jesus ranch. (Have you ever heard me talk about how much I love mixing Horses and Ministry??   ...Probably not, but feel free to ask me about it!)  Honestly, one of my biggest concerns about working on a ranch was the faith aspect.  I've worked with camp staff that didn't love Jesus; it's a hard environment.  And then there is no guarantee that I would be able to attend a church/ interact with other Jesus-people.  I don't actually know what that would be like for a whole summer; maybe it's something I should just get over and do, but then again, maybe it's wisdom.  But this place!!  They want ranglers that deal Jesus.  I really like this idea...

PS:  They got major points from me on the application.. They require summer staff to sign a form saying they won't date other staffers while working on the ranch!  Maybe it's weird, but I like the idea of not having to deal with romantic pursuits while chasing my romantic wild west Jesus dream! 

I think I could deal with a view like that.
But there are just two problems... 1- Being a grown up.  When I get back (that is if I go),  I have to be sufficiently employed.  Meaning I have to have a grown-up job here in Virginia.  Job hunting 3 months in advance could be difficult, so could job hunting from the other side of the country.  2- I have to submit the application by Sunday!  Via snail mail... which means ASAP!

<3

3 comments:

  1. Gorgeous!!
    Praying for wisdom for you and the little push to go the way He's planned.. Also, if ya need/want somewhere to crash for a few days orr more ;) my doors are open! ;)
    p.s. This makes me excited for some reason!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha... nope. I procrastinated on the application and then got a big girl job.. My dream is not dead though. Just not happening right now. :)

    ReplyDelete